A team that meets together, stays together. Remote working does not mean working in isolation – we meet up with the rest of the team several times a year at spectacular locations, from exotic islands in Thailand to the breathtaking mountains of Patagonia in Argentina.
“Ideas are worthless without execution” — that means we should maximize effect of our team-trips. To achieve that, we have a simple guide to use while working on the team trips.
How to get the most out of the team trip
Most of the time, we have daily work sessions to define the future of the IxDF. Human brains are unreliable when it comes to remember something in detail; that’s why we need the ideas written down as soon as they are discussed. After the team trip, we are going to execute over those ideas.
1. Using GitHub to make action plans
GitHub is the IxDF’s main project management tool. We will be using 🔒 IxDF-web's Issues (opens new window) to make action plans for whatever we talk in and out of the work sessions during the trip. To create a new issue, you can simply click IxDF-web/issues (opens new window).
Here is a screenshot of a new issue, briefly explaining how you can customize it:
After you fill out the details, remember to click on Submit new issue. 😃
2. Applying SMART criteria for action plans
When making action plans for the future of the IxDF, make sure that it fits to the SMART criteria (opens new window):
STRETCH GOAL: Increase the traffic on the IxDF website.
- Specific: Increase the incoming traffic to the UX-daily article pages on the IxDF website.
- Measureable: Increase the traffic on the IxDF website to 50,000 per day.
- Assignable: Increase the traffic on the IxDF website by expanding our social media reach through ads.
- Realistic: Increase the traffic on the IxDF website from 40,000 per day to 50,000 per day.
- Time-bound: Increase the traffic on the IxDF website within the next 2 months.
SMART GOAL: Increase the incoming traffic to the UX-daily article pages on the IxDF website from 40,000 visitors per day to 50,000 per day by expanding our social media reach through ads within the next 2 months.
There will be a correlation between the ease of execution and how well the action plan fits the SMART criteria. It might not be super easy to apply this criteria while discussing ideas, but we will have more time later to improve our action plans, and discuss them further.